Saturday 7 October 2023

In Author Spotlight of World Library Foundation's Inagural Newsletter of March 2017




Excerpt of my interview in Author Spotlight in the World Library Foundation Newsletter, March 2017, Vol. 1, Issue 1 (Inagural issue) 

http://www.gutenberg.us/eBooks/WPLBN0100000094-World-Library-Foundation-Newsletter--March-2017-Volume-1-Issue-1-by-World-Library-Foundation-Newsletter-Dept-.aspx  

Could you tell our readers a little bit about your writing journey? 

Schooled in letter-writing, I published my managerial ideas in over 30 articles before penning fiction, starting with Benign Flame: Saga of Love. Perhaps my “Addendum to Evolution: Origins of the World by Eastern Speculative Philosophy,” which was originally published in The Examined Life On-Line Philosophy Journal (Vol. 05, Issue 18) and which is incorporated in the epilogue of my Jewel-less Crown: Saga of Life, could become my philosophical pinnacle. How many books do you currently have published? Ten in all: three plot-based, character-driven novels; one stream-of-consciousness novel; one crime-detective novel; a collection of short stories; a compendium of stage and radio plays; a non-fiction novel; and, two translations of Sanskrit epics into English verses. 

What has been your favorite book to write so far? Why? 

My fiction writing arose from the belief that fiction should be the soulful rendering of characters rooted in their native soil, not a hodgepodge of local and foreign caricatures sketched on a hybrid canvas. My nonfiction endeavors were driven by my love of language. They are all equally dear to me, but the delivery of Jewel-less Crown: Saga of Life was by far the most challenging. 

Are you currently working on a book? Will this be your next release? 

No. Maybe I’ve given all that I’ve to give; after all, one’s creativity has its limits. What do you enjoy most about writing? I am fascinated by seeing my characters gradually altering the plot I set for them and enjoy capturing their emotions in compelling language. Which of your characters is your personal favorite? Least favorite? Why? I have had the good fortune to write scores of unique characters—good, bad and ugly—they are equally dear to me. Maybe for being she’s the first, I lean a little toward Roopa in my first novel, Benign Flame: Saga of Love. So far, what has been your favorite scene to write? I don’t have a favorite scene; every sentence is shaped by my creative passion.

What lessons have you learned since becoming a writer? Do you have any tips for new writers?

First, a writer should be deeply rooted in literature and prepared to make mistakes. Second, he should reconcile to the fact of life that his family and friends may not share his enthusiasm for his work. Writing is all about giving: one should write only if he has something unique to offer. If you were to recommend your books to someone, which book would you advise them to start with? Why? I think any one of my books would be of interest; but, if I were to recommend just one, then I would pick my first novel, Benign Flame: Saga of Love. While it was half-written, I came to believe that I had something unique to offer to the world. So important was this book to me, that I went to great lengths to ensure I lived until it was finished. 

What are some of your favorite classic literature stories that you have read? 

I have read much of Proust, Tolstoy, Dostoevsky, Zola, Turgenev, Gogol, Musil, etc. Continued next page15 Are there any classic books that you have read which you feel have made a big impact on your life? Why? I benefited by my uncle’s advice to first read the classics, because they deepen one’s understanding of life while broadening one vision of it, in addition to improving language. 

Can readers find you at any live events, such as book signings or conventions?

No, I have no book signings or convention appearances scheduled. Do you have anything else you’d like to share with readers? My books illustrate the fascinating contours of India’s social milieu in all its varied hues and colors. 

Book Spotlight Title: 

Benign Flame: Saga of Love Publication Date: 24 February 2017

Genre: Literary Fiction 

Description: 

The attractions Roopa experienced and the fantasies she entertained as a teen shaped a male imagery that ensconced her subconscious. Insensibly, confident bearing came to be associated with the image of maleness in her mind-set. Her acute consciousness of masculinity only increased her vulnerability to it, making her womanliness crave for the maleness for its gratification. However, as her father was constrained to help her in becoming a doctor, she opts to marry, hoping that Sathyam might serve her cause though the persona she envisioned as masculine, she found lacking in him. But as he fails to go with her idea, she becomes apathetic towards him, and insensibly sinks into her friend Sandhya’s embrace, for lesbian solace.

In time, she comes in contact with Tara, the suave call girl who unsuccessfully tries to rope her into prostitution. She achieves that by introducing Ravi the seducer. However, when Roopa goes to attend Sandhya’s wedding, she loses her heart to Raja Rao the groom even as Prasad, her husband’s lecherous friend falls for her. The scheming Prasad induces Sathyam to go the corrupt way besides weaning him away from Roopa with the aid of whores to make his path clear to her amour and that throws her into a dilemma. But as fate puts Raja Rao into Roopa’s arms, how the tale ends is best described by one Mr. Spencer Critchley, thus: “It’s a refreshing surprise to discover that the story will not trace a fall into disaster for Roopa, given that many writers might have habitually followed that course with a wife who strays into extramarital affairs.” 

Unfolding the compelling saga of Roopa’s love and loss, governed by the vicissitudes of life, this novel nuances man-woman chemistry on one hand, and portrays woman-woman empathy on the other. Who said the novel is dead? Benign Flame raises the bar. 

Title Link: 

http://www.gutenberg.us/eBooks/ WPLBN0002827435-Benign-Flame--Saga-ofLove-by-Murthy-B-S-.aspx? Social Media Link: https:// www.facebook.com/bulusus.murthy

Author Bio: 

BS Murthy was born in 1948, and graduated with a Bachelor of Science in mechanical engineering from the Birla Institute of Technology, Mesra, Ranchi, India. He has worked as a Hyderabad-based insurance surveyor and loss assessor since 1986. He is married with two sons, the elder one holding a Ph.D. in finance and the younger a master’s degree in Engineering. 

Author Link:

self.gutenberg.org/Authors/BSMurthy


Labels: , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home